McKesson MedSource® Indigent Recovery Solutions
Every year, health systems are providing billions of dollars in uncompensated care to uninsured and underinsured patients.
McKesson MedSource helps hospitals reduce drug costs through end-to-end medication and device recovery management. Due to complex eligibility requirements, Patient Assistance Program recovery can be extremely challenging. McKesson MedSource manages the process on behalf of the health system and educates hospital staff so they can expand their prescribing choices.
- Secures free replacement products (drugs and devices).
- Works with co-pay assistance programs, which can provide debit cards or checks to low-income patients.
- Offers a no-risk model. MedSource is contingency-based and has no startup costs. Hospitals don’t pay anything until the product is recovered.
MedSource PAP Recovery Process
Physician writes medication order for patient
Drug/device is dispensed and administered
MedSource initiates PAP application on behalf of patient
PAP reviews and approves application
PAP sends hospital a free replacement supply of drug/device
Dedicated MedSource Manager
MedSource managers work directly with the hospital pharmacy to ensure successful patient enrollment in each program and streamline the PAP recovery process in the following ways:
- Assisting with verification of patient enrollment criteria, researching patients and maintaining audit-ready patient files.
- Leveraging proprietary software to maintain, track and submit enrollment forms.
- Working closely with multiple hospital departments to obtain necessary information.
- Facilitating approval and replacement of eligible products from the manufacturer.
- MedSource boasts a 98% approval rate for PAP applications
- 291% average ROI for customers from April 2013–April 2014
Related McKesson Products and Services
Related McKesson Resources
 “Impact of Insurance Expansion on Hospital Uncompensated Care Costs in 2014.” ASPE.
 ROI is based on MedSource customer savings between April 2013 and April 2014. The cost of MedSource program is a percentage of PAP drugs recovered. MedSource customers achieved a 291% return over the cost of implementing the MedSource program.
- Industry News
- McKesson News